Instant Pot Rice and Veggies comes together in under 30 minutes, and makes for an easy weeknight meal, leaving you with minimal clean-up!
While the Instant Pot does wonders for meat and lentils, I love how easy it is to make rice and vegetables in one go. This one-pot rice and veggies dish is just what I need on rushed weeknights, when I don’t have the time, energy or motivation to linger too long around the stove-top. We all have days like these, when life seems like a ferris wheel that doesn’t stop spinning, and there is just not enough time in the day to get things done. And on such days, making a decent meal for your family, one that checks all those essential food groups, can be quite a hassle. One-pot dishes rule, especially on days like these!
Adapting Instant Pot Rice and Veggies to suit your taste:
- This recipe is quite versatile, you can make a rice and vegetable meal with any combination of vegetables (preferable those with a similar cooking time). I have used mushrooms, bell peppers and carrots, but you could add in potatoes, sweet corn, edamame beans, green beans or cauliflowers as well. You could also use frozen vegetables instead of fresh, in which case, you need to bring down the cooking time to 4 minutes.
- To make this a hearty rice casserole dish, add in some grated cheese right after the rice is cooked, then put the lid back on and let the cheese melt in the residual heat of the Instant Pot.
- You could also add minced meat and brown it for a few minutes before adding the rice, for a non-vegetarian option.
Take a look at this video that shows you how to make this recipe:
Instant Pot Rice and Vegetables
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large white onion diced
- 2 spring onions / scallions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups long grained rice I used basmati rice
- 3 cups assorted chopped vegetables I used mushrooms, bell peppers and carrots
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt if needed
- Turn the Instant Pot to 'Saute' mode in the 'More' setting.
- Add the butter, followed by the bay leaves, diced white onion and scallions and garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes until the bay leaves releases their aroma and the onions turn translucent.
- Add the 2 cups of rice and stir to combine it with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the assorted vegetables and mix well.
- Add the stock followed by the coconut milk. Stir to combine.
- Add the white pepper followed by the nutmeg and salt (if necessary).
- Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Put on the lid of the Instant Pot and turn the vent to ‘Sealing’ position, and switch to 'Manual' mode, in High Pressure' setting. Set the cooking time for 6 minutes.
- Once the IP beeps, let the pressure release naturally. Once all the steam has released, the pressure valve comes down and the IP lid is safe to open.
- Open the lid and give the rice and veggies a quick stir.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
For more easy Instant Pot Recipes, take a look at:
Shop my favorites: