Grilled salmon served with a delicious tamarind and honey glaze, makes for a quick and delicious weeknight dinner
I love the simplicity of this recipe, it has all those flavour pairings that I am partial too – tanginess, sweet, sour and a hint of spice from the red chilies. But best of all, it comes together in under 15 minutes! The glaze is so tempting, you’d want to double the double the amount in the recipe and generously pour it over your rice, or noodles. Or have it by the spoonful. No judgement!
I’ve used boneless, skinless salmon fillets for the recipe, but you could use salmon with skin-on if you prefer. The secret sauce (literally!) in the glaze relies on that magic ingredient – tamarind, which gives it a lovely tartness, that pairs very well with the honey.
Serve the salmon over a bed of rice, or over rice noodles, with some coriander for garnish.
Tamarind and Honey Glazed Salmon
- 6 medium Salmon fillets skinless and boneless
- Coriander to garnish
For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice optional – leave it out if you prefer less tartness
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil or any Vegetable oil of your preference
- Salt to season
- Clean the salmon fillets and pat them with a kitchen towel to dry. Keep aside.
- While you are prepping the ingredients for the glaze, preheat a grill-pan on the stovetop.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients mentioned under ‘glaze.’
- Brush some of the glaze onto both side of the salmon fillets. Use no more than 1/3 of the glaze.
- Transfer the fillets to the heated grill-pan and grill on one side for 3 minutes, until browned, then flip it over gently and grill the other side for 2 minutes.
- As the fish is grilling, in a small saucepan, warm up the rest of the glaze on medium heat. Let it heat for 3-4 minutes. Take it off the heat and let it cool.
- To serve, spoon the glaze over the salmon fillets and serve over rice or rice noodles.