Chicken Tikka Masala made effortlessly in the Instant Pot! This delicious curry is super-rich, creamy, and full of flavor
(This post was first published in September 2018 and has been updated with new content)
I am usually a purist when it comes to traditional recipes, and can be quite skeptical when recipes call for deviating from the original. I've grown up eating so many versions of chicken tikka masala back in India, and I love the traditional recipe which is made with chicken cooked in the tandoor (clay oven) and simmered in tikka masala sauce.
The 'tandoor' gives the chicken its char marks and a slight smoky flavor. The sauce for the tikka masala is prepared separately. The tandoori chicken pieces are then added into the chicken tikka masala sauce and simmered together. Cream is also added to finish the dish and make it richer.
However, I've found a way to make a simpler version of chicken tikka masala in the Instant Pot - in under 45 minutes, including prep time. If you feel like treating yourself midweek, and do not have the time to make chicken tikka masala the traditional way, then this Instant Pot Chicken Tikka masala is the recipe you need!
Why this recipe works
- One-pot chicken tikka masala - low on effort, yet full of flavor
- Only 30 minutes of cook time
- As close to the authentic recipe as you can get!
List of Ingredients
For the chicken tikka masala marinade, you will need
- Boneless chicken - use either thigh meat or breast meat
- Yogurt - use regular full-fat yogurt
- Lemon/lime juice
- Minced garlic and ginger or use homemade ginger garlic paste
- Green chili or use bird's eye chili
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder - Kashmiri red chili powder gives a deep red color to any dish but has very little heat. A close substitute is paprika powder.
- Turmeric powder (haldi powder)
For the tikka masala sauce, you will need
- Butter or ghee
- Cashews - Many recipes for chicken tikka masala avoid using cashews, but this is a key ingredient, DO NOT skip it!
- Tomatoes - use either fresh or tinned (I prefer using tinned for convenience)
- Spices - whole cumin, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, garam masala, bay leaves, cinnamon stick
- Coriander, cream for garnishing
Step by Step Instructions
Start by soaking the cashews in a cup of hot water. Keep aside for later. Cut the boneless chicken into medium-sized pieces. In a bowl, marinate the chicken pieces in a paste of ginger-garlic-green chili, lemon juice, salt yogurt, turmeric, and red chili powder. Cover with cling film and keep the marinated chicken in the fridge.
Now move on to the Instant Pot and make the sauce for the chicken tikka masala. Turn on the IP and hit 'Saute'. Once hot, add the butter, followed by the whole spices. Sauté until the whole spices turn aromatic. Add the chopped onions and saute for a few minutes, until they turn translucent. Then add the cashews.
Now add 1/2 a cup of water to prevent the ingredients from scalding and triggering the 'Burn' notice. Deglaze the pot and add the spice powders and salt, followed by the tinned tomatoes.
Mixing together, and close the lid of the Instant Pot. Pressure Cook for 5 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid of the Instant Pot once the vent drops, and discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
Add 1/3 cup water and use a stick blender to blend the cooked ingredients up to a smooth paste. The cashews will be cooked through by now, and they should be easily blended using a stick blender. Optionally, transfer the ingredients to a tabletop blender and blend until smooth. (Alternatively, you can also blend the cashews in a little water separately and add them to the sauce)
Then add the marinated chicken pieces to the sauce, and mix together. Ensure that the sauce is not too thick (this will trigger the Burn error). You can add 1/4 cup of water if the sauce is too thick. Pressure cook for 5 minutes, followed by quick pressure release. Switch to Saute mode and cook for 4 minutes more to reduce the liquid, and thicken the sauce. Add cream (optional) and chopped coriander to garnish.
Your chicken tikka masala is done! Serve with naan or Basmati rice.
- Grill the chicken separately: Although this is a quick version of chicken tikka masala, feel free to take the traditional route if you have some time on hand. You can marinate the chicken and then grill it in the oven (or barbeque it) instead of cooking the chicken along with the sauce in the Instant Pot. Simply add the grilled chicken to the sauce made in the Instant Pot, and simmer in ‘Saute’ mode for 5 minutes.
- Don't skip cashew nuts: Cashew nuts are used to thicken the sauce and add body and flavor to the chicken tikka masala sauce. Soak them in hot water for 15-20 minutes before adding it to the Instant Pot to pressure cook. No cashews on hand? Use almonds instead or even almond meal (like I used in this Instant Pot Paneer tikka masala recipe) as a replacement for whole cashews.
- Avoid the 'Burn' error: While making thick sauces with tomatoes and cashews, the Instant Pot can often trigger the Burn notice. To avoid this, make sure you have sufficient liquid in the pot. If the sauce is too thick, or if you have not deglazed the pot before pressure cooking, the Burn error will get triggered.
This is a question I get very often! There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about these two curries - butter chicken or murgh makhani and chicken tikka masala. Aside from the fact that butter chicken was invented in India and that chicken tikka masala is actually a British invention, there are some key differences in ingredients used:
Butter chicken does not use onions or cumin but does use honey as a sweetener.
If your IP triggers a 'Burn' error notice despite adding water, here's what you can do: Hit 'Cancel' and release the pressure manually. Add 1/3 cup water, deglaze the pot and continue cooking the chicken in the sauce in the 'Saute' mode instead of the Pressure Cook mode.
More Instant Pot Indian Recipes for you to try
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- 700 grams boneless chicken thighs or breasts cut into cubes
For the marinade
For the sauce
- Start by soaking the cashews in a cup of hot water. Keep aside for later.
- In a blender, blend together the green chili, ginger and garlic. In a bowl, marinate the chicken pieces in this paste, along with the lemon juice, salt, yogurt, turmeric, and red chili powder. Cover with cling film and keep in the fridge.
- Turn on the IP and hit 'Saute'. Once hot, add the butter, followed by the whole spices. Sauté until the whole spices turn aromatic (2-3 minutes). Add the chopped onions and sauté for a few minutes, until they turn translucent. Add the cashews.
- Add 1/2 a cup of water, deglaze the pot and add the spice powders and salt, followed by the tinned tomatoes.
- Mix together, close the lid of the Instant Pot. Pressure Cook for 5 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid of the Instant Pot once the vent drops, and discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Add 1/3 cup water and use a stick blender to blend the cooked ingredients up to a smooth paste(optionally, transfer the ingredients to a regular countertop blender and blend until smooth).
- Add the marinated chicken pieces to the sauce and mix together. Ensure that the sauce is not too thick (this will trigger the Burn error). You can add 1/4 cup of water if the sauce is too thick.
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes, followed by quick pressure release.
- Switch to Sauté mode. Cook for 4 minutes on Sauté mode until sauce has thickened. Add cream, and stir. Finally, add chopped coriander to garnish.
- Kashmiri chili powder is milder than regular red chili powder and gives a nice red color without too much heat. Optionally, substitute with paprika.
- Cashew nuts can be replaced with almond or even almond flour.
- If your IP triggers a 'Burn' error notice despite adding water, here's what you can do: Hit 'Cancel' and release the pressure manually. Add 1/3 cup water, deglaze the pot and continue cooking the chicken in the sauce in the 'Saute' mode instead of the Pressure Cook mode.
Pin it for later:
Caramel Tinted Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites.