Get spooked this Halloween with these mini pizza mummies that are easy to make with your child lending you a hand!
Honestly, I don’t know how I managed to stay away from the Halloween fever all these years! In Switzerland, or at least in our neighborhood, the expat community gets the kids together the night of Halloween, for a trick-or-treat session. That’s practically the limit of my first-hand experience with the festival. But when I saw cuteness upon cuteness descending on my Instagram feed, I couldn’t resist joining the fray. And these mini-pizza mummies (inspired from a brilliant Pinterest idea) were the result.
How adorable are these mini pizzas? My 4-year old and I made them together, and enjoyed both the making and the partaking! All you need is a store-bought puff pastry sheet, tomato sauce/ pizza sauce – which we made ourselves, and your favorite pizza toppings. My son enjoyed laying the strips of puff pastry over the toppings, and making it look like a bandaged mummy. I used green olive rounds for the eyes, but I think black olives would have worked well too.
Here is a step-by step guide to fixing your own mini-pizza mummies! I hope you give these a try at home and leave me a comment below if you do. Happy Halloween!
Halloween Snacks: Mini Pizza Mummies
- 1 store-bought puff pastry sheet
- For the tomato sauce:
- 1 cup tomato passata or tomato puree
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt to season
- For the toppings:
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels I used canned corn kernels
- 1/2 cup diced red and yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 cup grated pizza cheese
- Green or black olives cut into rings
- Peppercorns for eyeballs
- 1 egg for an egg wash optional
- Start by preparing the tomato sauce:
- In a saucepan, saute the garlic in olive oil on medium heat. Add the tomato passata or puree and tomato paste. Add the dried herbs and season with salt and stir well.
- Saute on low heat for 5 - 6 minutes.
- Turn off the heat once done and let the sauce cool down.
- Using a round container, cut out circles in the puff pastry sheet (do not throw away the scraps, you will need them for the mummy's bandage strips).
- Place the circles on a parchment-lined baking pan.
- Spread the tomato sauce on the cut puff pastry circles.
- Add the toppings, followed by the pizza cheese.
- Cut up the leftover puff pastry sheet into strips and place these over the topped pizza bases.
- Let the strips overlap.
- Using the round container, cut off the strips, sealing them into the puff pastry on the base.
- Using a pastry brush, spread some egg wash over the top of the puff pasty strips.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for 10 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden and crisp.
- Using the olive rings, create eyes for the mummies, and a peppercorn for the eyeballs.
If you like this recipe, pin here for later: