This sheet pan honey garlic chicken comes together with minimal prep, letting the oven does all the hard work for you. Enjoy this delicious meal with some crusty bread or steamed rice on the side.
Sheet pan meals are not just easy to make, they are pretty delicious too. They've come to the rescue on many a weeknight, and often, when I'm stuck in a recipe-rut or having a creative block, I'll resort to fixing a quick and easy meal with a few simple ingredients roasted in a marinade that doesn't need much prep.
Chicken and potatoes are made for sheet pan meals. The two ingredients cook at the same time and can be flavoured with any combination of spices and condiments. If you've been a reader of my blog, you'll know that I absolutely love a hint of sweet and tang in my dishes. And so, no surprises then, that when it comes to marinades, I'm partial to balsamic vinegar with a splash of honey.
In this recipe, I've used a combination of chicken thighs and legs (on the bone), potatoes and carrots. The marinde couldn't be simpler - you just add some olive oil, honey, grated garlic, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar (this is entirely optional), some chopped herbs (I used basil, parsley and thyme), salt and groun black pepper to a large food-safe bag. Add the cleaned chicken pieces, potatoes and carrots to the same bag. And then, my favorite part, toss all the ingredients in the bag untill the chicken and vegetables are well coated with the marinade. Transfer all the contents of the bag onto an oven-proof tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C (350 F) for 20 minutes.
The resulting pan juices are so flavorful, you'd be hard pressed not to spoon them into your mouth immediately! But, be patient, let the chicken rest for 5 -7 minutes and then, let loose, by all means. Served with some crusty bread on the side, this sheet pan honey garlic chicken makes for a delicious meal, where the oven does all the hard work and you just sit back and treat yourself!
Sheet Pan Honey Garlic Chicken
- 5 pieces of chicken legs and thighs skin-on, bone-in
- 2 large carrots chopped into cubes
- 3 medium potatoes chopped into cubes (use baby potatoes if you have them)
For the marinade:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 large garlic cloves grated
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs + 1 teaspoon for garnish – I used basil thyme and parsley (optionally, use dried herbs)
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Preheat the oven to 180C (340 F) while you prep the ingredients.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces.
- Into a large food-safe zip-lock bag, add the chicken pieces along with the potatoes and carrots.
- Add all the marinade ingredients to the bag, and seal the bag.
- Give the bag a few good tosses, until the chicken and vegetables are well coated with the marinade.
- Transfer all the ingredients from the bag into a sheet pan or an oven-safe tray. Spread out the ingredients so that they bake evenly.
- Bake at 180 C (350 F) for 20 minutes until the chicken juices run clear and the skin is browned.
- Serve with a side of crusty bread or steamed rice.
For more 30-minutes meal ideas, take a look at:
RIGATONI WITH KID-FRIENDLY CHICKEN RAGU – INSTANT POT RECIPE