This Mango Salad with Avocado and summer berries is dressed in a zesty lemon-basil dressing that gives it so much flavor! Perfect as a salad or salsa
This mango salad or mango salsa with avocado is bursting with fresh flavors! I love that it has so much color and vibrance from the berries and avocadoes. My favorite bit though, is the fresh lemon-basil dressing.
Why you will love this Mango Avocado Salad
- Fresh mangoes paired with avocado and summer berries
- Lemon Basil vinaigrette gives it so much flavor
- Versatile – can be served as a mango salsa with grilled chicken or fish, or as a mango salad on its own.
List of Ingredients
Here is all you will need to make this mango avocado salad:
Mango – Use any variety of sweet mango. I used ripe Alphonso which are available in Indian grocery stores, but any sweet mango will do.
Berries – I used fresh strawberries and blueberries, you can also skip using berries if you don’t have them or if they are not in season.
Cucumber – Cucumber is perfect for mango salads; they cut through the sweetness and give a nice crispness to the salad.
Avocado – Use ripe, firm avocadoes
For the lemon basil vinaigrette
- Fresh basil leaves
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Red wine vinegar (or use apple cider vinegar)
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, pepper, sugar
How to Make Mango salad with Avocado
Start by making the lemon basil vinaigrette - simply finely chop the basil, add it to a glass jar with the lemon and all the seasoning. Shake until well combined. The lemon basil vinaigrette is ready to be used for your mango salad!
In a large mixing bowl, place the cut fruits – avocado, mango, cucumber. Add the sliced strawberries and blueberries.
Pour over the lemon basil vinaigrette.
Toss gently until the fruits are covered with the mango salad dressing.
Your mango salad with avocado and berries is ready to be served!
Use firm mangoes - Make sure the mango is firm. I used ripe Alphonso mangoes, and they were just shy of being firm. I would recommend you use any variety of sweet mangoes that are firm and hold their shape when cut.
Avoid balsamic for the vinaigrette – The vinaigrette can take on a cloudy color if you add balsamic to it. This will make the salad look rather dull. Try to avoid using balsamic vinegar for this recipe.
Storing and making ahead – This mango salad with avocado is best eaten fresh. However, you can also keep it refrigerated in an air-tight container for up-to 3 days. If you want to make it ahead, you can prep the fruits a few days in advance and keep the chopped fruits in the fridge in a sealed container. Prepare the salad dressing ahead and refrigerate. Just before serving, transfer to a bowl and mix together.
Mango Salad Variations
Make Mango Salsa – This mango salad can be used as a salsa for wraps or served over grilled chicken, or grilled tofu. You can skip the berries and make it with just the mango, avocado and cucumber.
Substitute lemon juice with pineapple juice - You can also use pineapple juice instead of the lemon juice for the lemon basil vinaigrette. It adds a nice sweet boost to the mango salad.
Add cherry tomatoes – You can add cherry tomatoes if you like.
More quick and easy salads
Mango Salad Recipe
- 2 large Mangos diced
- 1 Avocado diced
- 1 cup Strawberries sliced into half
- ¾ cup Blueberries
- ½ Cucumber diced
- To prepare the Mango Salad with avocado, chop the mango, avocado and cucumber, slice the strawberries and keep aside in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small glass jar, add all the ingredients for the vinaigrette and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the fruits in the mixing bowl and mix gently using a salad spoon, until the dressing / vinaigrette coats the fruits evenly. Serve fresh.