This green goddess chicken salad is not just your average chicken salad! Poached, tender chicken breast, with sweet corn and chickpeas, topped off with a delicious green goddess dressing made with avocado, arugula, and almonds.
The thought of chicken salad can often bring to mind an uninspired and rather dull combination of chicken breasts tossed up with veggies and dressing. I assure you, this salad is anything but that!
We are stepping into Fall right about now, but summer is still on my mind, and rather than plunge headlong into cosy comfort meals, I'm still getting my dose of salads, particularly on a warm-ish, sunny late-summer day.
I mean, whats not to love about a salad that tastes delicious and is substantial enough to be a meal in itself? Here are some of my favorite salads to make, regardless of season:
The secret to a good chicken salad
A good chicken salad should have tender chicken pieces, tossed up with a dressing that is flavorful, yet doesn't overpower the main ingredients. You can go for either rotisserie chicken meat or poached chicken. I prefer the latter, and I love to use my Instant Pot to poach the chicken breasts just right.
All you need to poach chicken breasts are some garlic cloves, salt, thyme and bay leaves. These are the basic aromatics that I use, although you could add in more herbs, lemon, broth, or onion as well.
Add veggies that give the salad some texture. I like to add in chickpeas and corn to my salads, and occassionally throw in some shredded, chopped cabbage or red onion.
Finally, to get that salad to come to come together, you need a dressing that complements the ingredients and gives it flavour without overpowering the salad. I personally love this green goddess salad dressing, it rounds off the salad perfectly well!
Poaching chicken in the Instant Pot
You can poach your chicken both in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop - both will deliver similar results, but for ease and convenience, I prefer the Instant Pot!
To poach chicken in the Instant Pot, all you need are you chicken breasts, a cup of water, salt, garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Pressure cook on 'Manual' or 'Pressure Cook' mode for 6 minutes and let the pressure release naturally. That's it, it's as fuss-free as it can get!
To poach chicken on the stovetop, add the chicken breasts to a pot along with 1 cup of water. Add the aromatics and let the water come to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, untill the chicken is tender. Let the chicken rest in the poaching liquid for another 15-20 minutes.
How to make the Green Goddess dressing
Green goddess (don't you just love this name?!) dressings are pretty versatile to make. Some green goddess dressing recipes call for mayo and anchovies to give it that tangy taste. I've given this recipe my own spin, using some of my favorite nutrient-rich ingredients to make my version of green goddess dressing.
Serve it over salads, use it as a dip or a sandwish filling, or even thin it out with some milk or cream and use it as a pasta sauce, there are so many ways to have fun with this dressing!
Green Goddess Chicken Salad
For Poaching the Chicken
For the Green Goddess Dressing
- 2 avocado (use the flesh of 2 avocados)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 cup arugula or approximately a handful of arugula leaves
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup sweet corn canned corn, drained
- 1/3 cup chickpeas canned chickepeas, drained
Poaching the chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Start by poaching the chicken - add the chicken breasts to the Instant Pot, along with 1 cup of water, the garlic, thyme, bay leaves and salt.
- 'Pressure Cook' the chicken for 6 minutes on 'High', and let the pressure release naturally.
Poaching the chicken on the stovetop
- To poach chicken on the stovetop, add the chicken breasts to a pot along with 1 cup of water. Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaves and salt and let the water come to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, untill the chicken is tender. Let the chicken rest in the poaching liquid for another 15-20 minutes.
To Make the Green Goddess Dressing:
- Add all the ingredients for the green goddess dressing into the food processor or blender and process untill smooth
To assemble the salad
- Slice the chicken breasts and add to a bowl with chickpeas and corn. Top up with green goddess dressing and serve.
Caramel Tinted Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites.