Puff pastry cinnamon rolls are quick and easy to make! Puff pastry is stuffed with pecan and raisin filling, topped with glaze. Make cinnamon rolls in under 30 minutes with this easy recipe.
There’s nothing that says brunch quite like the smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls! This easy recipe for cinnamon rolls is made with puff pastry. No more making the dough and then proofing it - you need just 5 minutes of prep to get these easy puff pastry cinnamon rolls ready to bake. After spending 20 minutes in the oven, your cinnamon rolls will be done, and your home will be smelling so, so good!
Why you will love this recipe
- 5 minutes of prep only
- No more waiting for the dough to proof
- Made with easily available store-bought ingredients
Ingredients for puff pastry cinnamon rolls
- Store-bought puff pastry sheets (if using frozen, then thaw before using)
- Cinnamon powder
- Brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- Pecans, raisins
- Melted butter – Used to brush over the puff pastry just before baking
- 1 egg, beaten – this is optional, but helping in binding together the nuts and raisins to the puff pastry sheet, and makes them easier to slice.
Ingredients for the glaze
- Icing sugar/ Powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1/2 tablespoon
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 teaspoon
Step-by-Step Recipe Instructions
To make the puff pastry cinnamon rolls, start by preheating your oven to 350F. In a bowl, mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar (or coconut sugar). Chop the pecans and mix with raisins in a bowl. Keep aside. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat, place your thawed puff pastry sheet. Brush the beaten egg over the puff pastry sheet.
Top the puff pastry sheet with an even layer of cinnamon sugar. Leave a space of 1 inch around the sides.
Top this off with the pecan-raisin mixture, spread in an even layer.
Roll the puff pastry sheet into a tight log. The egg wash you brushed on earlier will help to keep the filling intact. Pinch the seam to seal off the edges. Brush the puff pastry log with the melted butter.
Using a sharp knife, cut the rolled-up log into even slices. Place the slices, swirl-side-up on the baking mat. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, until golden and crisp. Once done, let them cool on a wire rack for 5-7 minutes, before glazing.
While the rolls are cooling, make the glaze. To make the glaze, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add a tablespoon of milk, along with the vanilla extract, and mix well. If the glaze is too thick, add a few drops of milk, until it reaches a thick, but pourable consistency. Do not make the glaze too runny. Using a spoon, drizzle the glaze all over the rolls, and serve.
Tips For Making Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
Make it ahead: Simply prepare your puff pastry roll (if using refrigerated puff pastry sheets), as described in the steps above, and keep it in the refrigerator, if making a day ahead. Bake it just before you serve. If you are using store-bought frozen puff pastry sheets, you will need to use the sheets after thawing them. Simply prepare the filling in advance and fill, roll and bake before you are serving it.
Make it Vegan: To make vegan cinnamon rolls, use vegan puff-pastry sheets and substitute the milk with any non-dairy milk of your choice.
Make it Savory: Instead of making the cinnamon-pecan and raisin filling, simply spread a layer of jarred pesto, or cream cheese and spinach - similar to the filling I used in these homemade bread rolls. You can also try various savory fillings with this recipe.
More Easy Brunch Recipes
Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 Puff Pastry sheet if using frozen, thaw before using
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter melted
- ¼ cup Raw Pecans Coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup Raisins
- ¼ cup Light or dark brown sugar or use coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Egg beaten
For the glaze
- ½ cup icing sugar powdered sugar or confectioners' sugar
- ½ tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 F (180 C)
- Mix together the cinnamon powder and the brown sugar in a bowl and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the pecans and raisins and keep aside.
- Lay out the puff pastry sheet (thaw if using frozen) on a lined baking sheet.
- Brush the top of the puff pastry sheet with the beaten egg. This will help to keep the filling intact.
- Sprinkle the pecans and raisins evenly over the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet into a tight log. Brush over with melted butter.
- Use a sharp knife to cut up the puff pastry log into equal sections, each around 1.5 inches long.
- Place each cut-up section of the rolled-up log, swirl-side-up, on the lined baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let the puff pastry cinnamon rolls cool while you prepare the glaze topping.
Prepare the glaze
- To prepare the glaze, sift the powdered sugar into a bowl.
- Add a little milk - starting with a tablespoon, then add a little more drops of milk, until you reach the desired thick, pourable glaze consistency.
- Add the vanilla and mix it into the glaze.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the sugar glaze over the cooled cinnamon rolls, and serve.
- To make vegan cinnamon rolls, use vegan puff-pastry sheets and substitute the milk with any non-dairy milk of your choice.
- You can also try various savory fillings with this recipe.
- Make ahead, by preparing the rolls and refrigerating them a day before baking.