Herb Garlic Smashed Potatoes are a fantastic snack or side. Par-boil them with a secret ingredient, then finish them in the oven. Super crisp on the outside and tender and flavorful on the inside!
(This recipe was first published in November 2018 and has been updated with new instructions and images)
Given a choice between creamy mashed potatoes and crispy, smashed potatoes, I’d choose the latter, always. I have previously shared my recipe for the crispiest baked potato wedges here. These smashed potatoes are a slight variation on the same recipe.
The secret to crispy potatoes is the addition of baking soda to the water. By adding baking soda to the water, you increase the pH level of the water (making it alkaline). This causes the potatoes to break down easily. Once the potatoes are cooked, you can smash them using a fork or a potato masher (or any weapon of your choice!). Once these potatoes are baked, the exterior crisps up really well.
List of Ingredients
For these herb garlic smashed potatoes, we will need:
- Baby potatoes ( (Yukon Gold or red)), skin-on, cleaned well
- Baking Soda
- Butter (or use olive oil)
- Herbs - use any combination of fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary, parsley, etc.
To make herb garlic smashed potatoes, the baby potatoes are first parcooked in either the Instant Pot or on the stovetop, with a little salt and baking soda. After then become tender, they are then smashed, and baked in the oven until golden brown. Here is how you make them:
Instant Pot instructions
In your Instant Pot, add the baby potatoes, along with enough water to cover the potatoes. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of baking soda. Pressure cook for 5 minutes and let the pressure release naturally for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, perform a quick release of pressure. Open the lid of the IP, and drain the potatoes, keeping them aside to cool
If you don't have a pressure cooker, cook the baby potatoes on the stovetop in a large pot of water with added salt and baking soda, for 20 minutes. This will partially cook the potatoes, making them tender.
Drain the potatoes and let them cool.
Once the potatoes have cooled to room temperature, transfer them to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Smash the potatoes (using a fork), then drizzle over some melted butter mixed with grated garlic, chopped parsley, and thyme, and bake at 400 F (200 C) for 15 minutes, or until the outside starts to brown slightly.
Once you see that the potatoes are turning golden brown and have crisped up, crisp and done, take out the tray from the oven. Before serving, sprinkle a little grated parmesan on top. The parmesan will melt in the residual heat of the potatoes. Serve immediately!
More sides and snacks recipes
Herb Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- 700 Grams baby potatoes cleaned and skins left on
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (see notes)
- Enough water to cover the potaoes
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon fresh or dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes optional
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 F
Instant Pot Method:
- Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes. Add the salt and the baking soda and mix.
- Put on the lid of the IP, and with the vent in 'sealing' position, switch to 'Pressure Cook' (Manual) mode, in 'High' setting. Set the time for 5 minutes. Let the potatoes cook for 5 minutes. Once cooked, let the pressure release naturally for 3 minutes. Then, turn the vent to release steam (Quick Release).
- Open the lid and take out the potatoes with a slotted spoon. Drain on kitchen towels and transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking paper or foil. Let the potatoes cool down.
Stove Top Method:
- Add potatoes to a pot on the stove top. Add enough cold water to cover the potatoes.Add salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water starts to boil, reduce heat and bring to a simmer for 15 mins. The pottaoes should be easily pierced by a fork.
- Take out potatoes, drain and let them cool.
- As the potatoes are cooling, mix together the melted butter, garlic, chili flakes and herbs.
- Once the potatoes are cooled, smash the potatoes gently with a fork ,and drizzle over the butter-garlic-chili-herb mixture generously.
- Bake in the oven at 400 F for 15 minutes, until the tops have crisped and lightly browned.
- Take out the baking sheet and sprinkle grated parmesan over the potatoes. Serve immediately.
Caramel Tinted Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites.