Pumpkin soup made with roasted pumpkin and veggies is a wholesome, creamy soup that's perfect for the Fall! Enriched with turmeric and coconut milk, this soup is given so much added flavor with the extra step of roasting the veggies!
This comforting and nourishing pumpkin veggie soup is full of the goodness of pumpkin, carrots, potatoes and has the health benefits of turmeric too. It is dairy-free, made creamy and rich with the addition of a little coconut milk, and is the perfect soup for your Autumn / Winter holiday table.
The extra step of roasting the veggies in the Air Fryer or in the oven gives it so much extra flavor. Don’t skip this step! I tossed up my veggies, along with garlic cloves in some olive oil, and roasted them in my Air Fryer for maximum flavor. You can use an oven to roast the veggies. Roasting the pumpkin, carrots and garlic take the flavor from good to next-level.
Why this recipe works
- Roasting the veggies maximizes the flavor
- Use an air fryer and Instant Pot to reduce time and effort
- Easy to customize – add more veggies, swap pumpkin with butternut squash
- No need for dairy, make it thick and creamy with coconut milk
To make pumpkin veggie soup, you will need:
Pumpkin: Use any of your favorite pumpkin varieties. I like to use local Red Kuri Squash (Hokkaido Kürbis). Butternut squash also works very well for this recipe.
Onions: Yellow or Red
Carrots: I like to add carrots to the recipe for the extra nutritional value, and for the deeper color.
Turmeric (not pictured above): Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and boosts the immune system. I like to add it to my winter sops for the health benefits. and also for the golden color!
Coconut Milk: If you prefer cream to coconut milk, you can swap out the coconut milk for regular dairy-based cream.
Stock or Stock Cube: Use any good quality vegetable stock or stock cube for the soup.
Potato: The potato is perfect for adding starch and creaminess to the soup. You can leave it out to make a low-carb pumpkin soup.
Start by prepping the veggies - peel the pumpkin, carrots and potatoes (and other veggies, if using) along with the garlic cloves, chop them into large pieces and add them to a mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss to coat the veggies in oil.
If using an Air Fryer, transfer the veggies to the Air Fryer basket. Air Fry in a preheated Air Fryer at 370 F for 10 minutes. (Optionally, roast in the oven at 370 F for 20 mins).
Once the veggies are roasted, take out the air fryer basket.
I used an Instant pot to make this pumpkin soup - I find it so easy and convenient to use. You can also make it on the stovetop if you don't use a pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup Instructions
Add all the veggies to the Instant Pot and add stock (or water and a stock cube). Add the spices - turmeric, nutmeg, paprika, and salt.
Give it all a mix with a ladle.
Pressure cook on 'High' for 5 minutes. After the Pressure cooking cycle is complete, let the steam release naturally for at least 5 minutes.
Open the lid.
Using a hand blender (immersion blender), blitz the veggies. Add the coconut milk and continue to blitz to form a smooth pumpkin soup.
And that's it! Your roasted pumpkin veggie soup is now ready to be served! ladle into bowls and serve with bread on the side.
This Instant Pot pumpkin soup is perfect for a holiday table - serve as a soup course to complement your favorite Autumn / Winter meals.
More Holiday Recipes
Roasted Pumpkin Veggie Soup
- Air Fryer or Oven
- Instant Pot (or use a large pot on the stove top)
- Start by chopping the veggies and adding them to a mixing bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Air fryer Instructions
- Toss them to mix, and transfer to Air Fryer basket
- Air fry the veggies at 370 F for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a lined baking sheet.
- Roast the veggies at 370 F for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the veggies are roasted, transfer to the Instant Pot.
- Add stock or stock cube and water, salt, turmeric, paprika, nutmeg.
- Stir with a spatul and pressure cook on High for 5 minutes. Natural Pressure release after 6 minutes.
- Open the lid of the Instant Pot and add coconut milk. Using a hand blender, blend to a smooth soup.
- Check for seasoning and add salt as needed.