Instant Pot Lentil Soup
Instant Pot lentil soup is a vegetarian, budget-friendly soup recipe that has the added goodness of sweet potato and kale. Serve it at lunch or dinner for a comforting meal that is nutritious, delicious and satisfying. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 red or yellow onion chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 sweet potato (medium to large) peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- 1/2 lime to be added at the end
Turn on the Instant Pot in 'Sauté' mode. Add the olive oil and let it heat for a minute. Then add the chopped garlic cloves and sauté for a minute, until the garlic is browned. Add the diced onion.
Sauté the onion until the pieces turn translucent. Add the cumin and paprika and stir. Then add the cubed sweet potato.
Now add the lentils, followed by the diced tomatoes.
Finally add the vegetable stock, and mix all the ingredients gently. Close the lid of the Instant Pot and pressure cook on High Pressure for 12 minutes.
Once the Instant Pot has finished the pressure cooking cycle, hit 'Cancel' and perform a quick release of pressure and open the lid of the Instant Pot.
Add in the chopped kale and stir it in. There is no need to cook the soup further as the kale with cook in the residual heat of the soup.
Add a dash of lime and serve.
- Both the lentils and the sweet potato will release starch while cooking and this thickens the soup on its own, however if you want a soup that is thicker, just use a hand blender to blend a small portion of the soup and then stir it up with the rest of the soup.
- Cooked lentils will keep refrigerated for 3-4 days in an airtight container. Lentil soup also freezes well. Once the soup has cooled down, store in freezer-safe containers or freezer-safe bags and transfer to the freezer.
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 789mg | Potassium: 797mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 7104IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 5mg