Instant Pot Leek and Mushroom Soup is a vegan soup which is both light on the digestive system and good for the soul! It easy to put together and is a breeze to make, and needs minimal monitoring.
As I make this Instant Pot Leek and Mushroom Soup, summer is just heading out the door, in these parts. Fall is gorgeous with its colors and I'm sure most of the Northern Hemisphere will be celebrating the advent of Fall this year, after the immense heat waves that left us reeling.
But I'm very much a summer child, and when the sunshine starts to wane, I take it as my cue to get mopey. I'm also the kind of person that enjoys warm drinks and soups in the summer. I cannot function without a cup or two of hot tea in a day, and I can happily lap up a soup regardless of the weather or time of day.
Why should soups be enjoyed only when the chill sets in? I'm an equal-opportunity soup lover, and I'm here to make the case for soup that isn't bound to the weather! Here is another soup that you might like, Instant Pot lentil soup with kale and sweet potato.
What you will love about this Instant Pot Leek and Mushroom Soup:
This is a light soup, made with leeks, mushrooms and coconut milk as its core ingredients. Although light enough for the digestive system, this vegan soup is hearty enough to more than tide over those hunger pangs!
I find the Instant Pot to be the best way to make this soup, as it comes together very quickly, involves minimal clean-up and requires no monitoring. Making it in the IP is so simple, you basically use the Saute mode of the IP to saute the garlic, mushrooms and leeks, along with herbs (I prefer parsley and pepper) and then add stock.
Let the IP pressure cook in the 'Manual' setting for 2 minutes. Once cooked, allow the pressure to release naturally. Open the lifd, blitz the ingredients using a hand-held immersion blender, and add coconut milk. You're done!
Serve it with croutons, have it with some crusty bread, pair it with your main course, or make a meal out of it, you decide!
Instant Pot Leek and Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (can be substituted with ghee for a non-vegan option)
- 2 clove finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped leeks (use fresh or frozen leeks)
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley (fresh or dried)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 cup vegetable stock (I used a stock cube dissolved in hot water)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Turn the IP to 'Saute' mode in the 'More' setting.
- Add the olive oil followed by the chopped garlic. Saute the garlic until it is lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms followed by the leeks. Saute for two minutes until the mushrooms release their moisture and soften.
- Add the parsley, followed by the white pepper powder.
- Add the vegetable stock and give it a stir.
- Put on the lid of the IP, and with the vent in 'sealing' position, switch to 'Manual' mode, in 'High Pressure' setting. Set the time for 2 minutes. Once done, the IP will beep.
- Wait till the valve comes down on its own (this is known as NPR or Natural Pressure Release). The IP lid is now safe to open.
- Open the IP lid and using an immersion blender, blend all the cooked ingredients.
- Add the coconut milk to the blended ingredients. Stir well.
- Serve the soups in bowls with toppings of your choice.