An easy grilled chicken dish flavored with some classic Indian spices served with a side of seasonal roasted vegetables and a yogurt dip
Grilled chicken finds its way here for the second time in two weeks! The sunshine and beginnings of my favorite season usually gets me grilling, as one does, when the sun shines on. This time around, this recipe is a very light one, chicken marinated in a marinade that doesn't overpower the meat itself. I've paired it with a light and refreshing yogurt dip, a cucumber raita to which I've added goat's cheese for a more intense flavor.
I've also added a side dish of roasted vegetables, asparagus, potatoes and carrots, which are lightly seasoned with some smoked paprika and a touch of truffle oil - which isn't entirely necessary, but certainly takes the dish from good to great. I've been enjoying this roasted vegetable side with quite a few meals these days, it feels just about perfect for this season!
Grilled Chicken Tikka Drumsticks
- 6 chicken drumsticks skinned
- For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon full-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder haldi
- 1/3 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala see notes
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon ghee can be replaced with melted butter
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste see notes
- For the yogurt dip:
- Finely diced cucumber
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon goats cheese can be replaced with sour cream
- For the roasted vegetables:
- 3 medium sized potatoes skinned and cut into cubes
- 2-3 asparagus stalks cut into 1" pieces
- 1 carrot skinned and cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon good quality olive oil
- Optional: A teaspoon of truffle oil to finish the dish
- Clean the chicken drumsticks and pat them dry on a kitchen towel.
- Combine all the ingredients listed under marinade and transfer to a large food-safe zip lock bag.
- Add the chicken legs to the bag and seal the bag.
- Toss the marinade with the chicken, making sure the chicken is well coated in the marinade.
- Keep the bag with the marinated chicken in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- In the mean time, preheat your oven to 190 C, and prepare the roasted vegetables.
- In a baking pan lined with foil, add the potatoes and oil.
- Toss the potatoes in the oil and let it bake for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minute mark, add the asparagus, carrots, paprika, salt, and toss it with the baked potatoes.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes more, until the potatoes are golden, and the carrots are just baked.
- Serve the roasted vegetables with a finish of truffle oil.
- Prepare the yogurt dip:
- In a pan on the stive top, lightly roast the cumin seeds for a minute.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the dip and garnish with the roasted cumin.
- Prepare the chicken:
- Preheat your grill (I used a stove-top grill pan).
- Add the marinated chicken and cook on all sides for a total of 30 minutes on medium heat, until done.
- Let the chicken rest before serving.
- Serve with a side of roasted vegetables and yogurt dip.
For more roast chicken recipes to get you in the mood to fire up that barbecue, take a look at:
MEDITERRANEAN ROASTED CHICKEN:
SMOKED PAPRIKA AND ORANGE CHICKEN:
CHICKEN HARIYALI TANGDI KABAB:
If you like this recipe, pin here for later: