Instant Pot Tortellini soup is a quick version of classic creamy vegetarian tortellini soup. 30 minutes to a bowl of pure comfort – just what I need this winter!
This creamy tortellini soup is a hearty, comforting one-pot soup that packs in loads of flavor and can be made in under 30 minutes. One of my favorite soups for the winter, this vegetarian tortellini soup is also easy to customize.
Feel free to use any variety of tortellini you like. I have used spinach and ricotta fresh tortellini (very common in Swiss supermarkets). You can add in your choice of veggies - I also added in some fresh sweet corn and would have added spinach as well, if I had that on hand.
I have made this recipe in my Instant Pot - I default to using the Instant Pot when I make soups, it is simply so much more convenient. Instant Pot tortellini soup can be made in under 30 minutes, with very little monitoring - taking the stress out of cooking.
Some of my favorite Instant Pot soups are White Sean Soup and Roasted Pumpkin Soup - I've been having them ever so often this winter. Have you tried them yet?
Notes on Ingredients
To make creamy tortellini soup, you will need:
(for exact ingredient measurements, head to the recipe card at the end of this page)
Tortellini – I prefer to make this recipe with fresh tortellini, found in the refrigerated section of the supermarket. Use any variety that you like, I have used spinach and ricotta stuffed tortellini here. Dried tortellini can be used as well, but will need to be added before pressure cooking (see the recipe card at the end of this page).
Stock – Use any good quality vegetable stock or broth or bouillon that you like. I have used vegetable bouillon mixed with hot water.
Cream – I have used single cream, but heavy cream works great too.
Seasoning – I have used a mix of dried herbs – basil, rosemary, thyme, and oregano. You can also use fresh herbs to season the Instant Pot tortellini soup.
Celery, Onions, and Carrots – This is the classic ‘Mirepoix’ - the trinity of ingredients that gives so much flavor to soups and stews. Saute the onion, celery, and carrots for a few minutes, and then add the rest of the ingredients.
Step-by-step instructions with images
Start by hitting 'Saute' on the Instant Pot. Once hot, add the olive oil and finely chopped garlic. Saute for a minute and then add the chopped celery, carrots, onions.
Saute for 3 minutes.
Add the dried herb seasoning, salt, and pepper, followed by the diced tomatoes and the vegetable broth.
Give it all a good mix.
Close the lid of the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 5 minutes. Once 5 minutes are done, quick-release the pressure (manual release) and open the lid.
Add sweet corn kernels and heavy cream.
Add the tortellini to the Instant Pot. Set the Instant Pot to the 'Saute' function and simmer for 4-5 minutes with the lid closed.
Once the tortellini is cooked through, your Instant Pot tortellini soup is ready! Add chopped fresh basil for more flavor and sprinkle parmesan over the tortellini soup before serving.
Make it with sausage - If you are a non-vegetarian, you can also add sausage to this soup. Add chopped sausage before pressure cooking the soup.
Use dried tortellini - Dried tortellini can be used in place of fresh. Simply add it to the soup before pressure cooking it. If you are using fresh tortellini, there is no need to pressure cook it.
Add smoked paprika for more flavor - After trying this recipe with different spices and dried herbs, I realized that a little smoked paprika makes it so much better.
Fresh basil at the end - A few coarsely chopped-up leaves of fresh basil will add plenty of flavor to the soup. Just add it at the end and mix before serving.
More Instant Pot recipes for Winter
Creamy Vegetarian Toretellini Soup (Instant Pot Tortellini Soup) Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped or minced
- ⅓ cup Celery diced
- 2 Carrots diced
- 2 Onions diced
- Diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Salt enough to season
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons Dried herbs Use a mix of dried basil, thyme, rosemary and oregano
- 10 ounces Fresh Tortellini (I have used spinach and ricotta) see notes for details
- 3 cups Vegetable stock (or bouillon)
- ⅓ cup Sweet Corn fresh or canned
- ¼ cup Heavy cream (or single cream)
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan grated
- 3-4 Basil Leaves roughly chopped
- Start by hitting 'Saute' on the Instant Pot. Once hot, add the olive oil and finely chopped garlic.
- Saute the garlic for a minute and then add the chopped celery, carrots, onions.
- Saute the onion, celery, carrots for 3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the dried herb seasoning, salt, and pepper, followed by the diced tomatoes and the vegetable broth.
- Give it all a good mix.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 5 minutes. Once 5 minutes are done, quick-release the pressure (manual release) and open the lid.
- Add sweet corn kernels and heavy cream.
- Add the tortellini to the Instant Pot. Set the Instant Pot to the 'Saute' function and simmer for 4-5 minutes, keeping the Instant Pot covered with a lid (any regular pot lid will do).
- Once the tortellini is cooked through, your Instant Pot tortellini soup is ready. Add chopped fresh basil for more flavor and sprinkle parmesan over the tortellini soup before serving.
- Dried tortellini - If using dried instead of fresh tortellini, add it before pressure cooking.
- Add sausage - For a non-vegetarian version, crumble some Italian sausage (or any sausage you like). Saute along with the celery, onion, and carrots.
- Add more veggies - Additional veggies you can add are pumpkin, zucchini, sweet potato, etc.
How would you cook that on a normal stove, rather than pressure cook?