Knock breakfast out of the park with this refined sugar-free, cherry chia jam - full of the goodness of chia seeds, oats and cherries.
This breakfast is one that deserves all the superlative that come its way! Healthy and filling, it is one of my favorite ways to pack in energy for the day.
A few pitted cherries, some maple syrup, some chia seeds are all you need to make the cherry chia jam. Prepare some overnight oats with your choice of rolled oats and milk. Off to bed you go then. In the morning, get yourself a glass, a spoon, layer the oats with the jam, top with chopped fruits and nuts, and eat to your heart's content.
Get about the rest of the day with a smug smile on your face. You just made the breakfast of champions, and you deserve to be a little smug! Just don't become that person that rolls their eyes at people who eat boxed cereal for breakfast, please! For more breakfast options, take a look at my gluten-free oats waffles, classic French crepes with lemon curd and Bailey's french toast.
How to make cherry chia jam:
Cherr chia jam is super simple to make: pitted cherries are cooked with chia seeds and maple syrup. The mixture is then cooled and left to sit overnight in the fridge. The chia jam is ready to use by morning.
The best way to enjoy this jam is to spoon it over overnight oats. I like to make my overnight oats with almond milk - you can use any milk of your choice - and let that sit in the frigde overnight. By morning, you can enjoy your overnight oats with a few spoons of cherry chia jam over it!
Is Chia jam good for you?
Chia jam is in fact, quite good for you! They are little all-rounders in the super-food department, can work a little magic when they are immersed in liquid. Yes, their gelatinous properties allow you to wave a cheery goodbye to your sugar-laden jam.
So, with around 5 minutes of prep the night before, you can have jam that makes you feel like you've bagged gold at the breakfast Olympics, you know, the when in which they score you on the health-o-meter of your breakfast. Chia jam has all those properties that make it a great addition for your breakfast: No-sugar, Omega-3 fatty, Antioxidinats, Protein, fiber, minerals
Cherry Chia Jam and Overnight Oats
- For the chia jam:
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup pitted cherries I used frozen cherries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- For the overnight oats:
- 1 cup rolled oats I used organic whole grain rolled oats
- 1 cup almond milk or any milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional, I skipped this
- To garnish:
- Chopped pitted cherries chopped dates, chopped almonds
- In a saucepan on medium heat, let the chia seeds cook with the pitted cherries and maple syrup for 4 mins.
- Take off the heat once cooked, cover the pan, and let it cool overnight.
- Separately, in a bowl, combine the oats and milk.
- Keep the bowl covered overnight.
- To serve, layer the oats and the jam, and top with the chopped fruit and nuts.
If you like this recipe, pin here for later: