I’v been on a bit of a hiatus for a couple of weeks now. We moved homes yet again, to an apartment with a tad more space, lots more sunlight and most importantly with 3 (!) Spielplätze (play-areas) outside the apartment. A good neighborhood Spielplätz is a dealmaker for us when it comes to choosing an apartment. With our track record (12 apartments in 11 years in 3 different countries), moving has become second nature for us now.
We moved in time for summer to bless us with some sun, and with a little more patio/balcony space now than before, I have a hundred summer-themed ideas running around my head. Hopefully over the next month or so, we should be summer ready! In the midst of the unpacking, rearranging furniture, and general settling in, I didn’t really get time to click any decent pictures of food, or document anything on my blog or Instagram. Unlike more organized and methodical bloggers I know, I didn’t plan ahead and schedule posts in the days before our move…. I live and learn!
This recipe is something I’v been meaning to post for the longest time now, and is just the right thing for busy parents this summer. I make these muffins very often, in a batch of 12 at a time and store them in the fridge, using them as needed. These muffins are great as a snack on the go, little hands can much them without making too much of a mess. My three-year old carries them in his snack box for playgroup, my husband carries them to snack on at work, and we like to have them as breakfast on rushed mornings too. I feel like breaking out into an ad jingle, “One versatile muffin, so many options!”.
I’ve made these muffins several times, and I always tweak the recipe a little, depending on what I have in the fridge at the time. This version is one of my favorites, it has corn kernels, spinach, bits of cheese mixed in and some chopped up preserved tomato for an extra dash of flavor. I think grated zucchini and carrots would be a great addition too, the next time I make these. Now that its the season to be outdoors, I’l be making a lot more of these on-the-go muffins, especially for those evenings spent at the Spielplätze!
- (The recipe makes 12 muffins)
- 200 grams all-purpose flour (APF)
- 100 grams whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 100 grams melted butter
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk (full fat)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- a pinch of sugar
- 150 grams corn kernels (approximately ½ a can of corn, or use fresh corn kernels)
- ½ cup crumpled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped preserved tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped spinach or 2-3 cubes thawed frozen spinach (I prefer this, as the spinach mixes evenly in the batter)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare a muffin pan, by brushing the muffin tray with butter and dusting it with flour. Tap off the excess flour.
- In a bowl, whisk together the APF, whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set this aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a hand-held mixer, beat together the eggs on medium speed. Add the milk, sugar and salt and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly, in two additions, mixing on low speed until incorporated.
- Next, add the corn, tomatoes, spinach, cheese, and mix on low speed until the ingredients come together in the batter, around 1 minute.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared muffin pan, and bake for 15-20 minutes until the muffins are done.
I am linking these snacks-on-the-go to the lovely folks at Fiesta Friday!